Pain Management Unit
The Pain Management Unit at Hospital Ochoa is a multidisciplinary second-level syndromic therapeutic unit. This corresponds to the standards set by CASED (Spanish Pain Society Accreditation Committee), which guarantee the accurate diagnosis and treatment of pain at both the institutional and individual level.
The team is directed and coordinated by a physician anesthesiologist, due to their expertise in analgesic remedies. Other medical specialties that make up in this multidisciplinary panel include neurologists, neurophysiologists, traumatologists, surgeons, radiologists, physiotherapists and nurses. The Pain Management Unit is thus ideally suited to identify and treat promptly and effectively any type of pain symptom or syndrome.
Diagnosis and treatment
The Pain Management Unit diagnoses and treats pain in a methodical and protocolised manner:
- Acute pains.
- Chronic non-operable lumbar and cervical pain syndrome.
- Post-operative lumbar pain or post-laminectomy syndrome.
- Radiculopathies (pinched nerves).
- Peripheral neuralgias.
- Post-herpetic pain syndrome.
- Neuropathic pain (metabolic, diabetes, etc.).
- Myofascial pain syndrome, post-traumatic pain syndrome, headaches and cephalgias.
- Optimisation and monitoring of oncological pain.
- Pelvic-perineal pain.
- Reflex Sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) syndrome.
- Rheumatoid arthritis joint pain.