The Family Medicine department at Hospital Ochoa provides general comprehensive health care for people of all ages. Doctors in this holistic specialty possess a very broad medical knowledge which permits them to address the vast majority of health issues.
Family medicine aims to provide comprehensive, accessible and continuous care to individuals and families from a multidisciplinary point of view. In addition, another important function of this discipline is preventive medicine, whereby patients are counselled and advised on how best to lead a healthy life and help prevent potential health issues.
The family doctor should be the first point of contact for any patient. They will be best suited to identify potential health issues and either diagnose and treat the disorder or refer the patient to the appropriate specialist. Seeing a specialist first can often be an inefficient use of time.
The Family Medicine department at Hospital Ochoa provides the following care:
- Preventive medicine and regular check-ups
- High blood pressure treatment
- Diabetes treatment
- High cholesterol treatment
- Diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis
- Cardiovascular risk assessment
- Monitoring of anticoagulants
- Assessment and treatment of common infectious diseases
- Vaccinations for specific circumstances (e.g. international travel)