General surgery is a surgical specialty that focuses on the abdominal area, but also deals with disorders involving the skin, breast, soft tissue, trauma, peripheral artery disease and hernias. Nowadays many surgical procedures are endoscopic, which help reduce risks, recovery time and scarring.
The surgeons at Hospital Ochoa possess extensive experience and strive to provide the finest surgical patient care.
Surgeries can typically be divided into 2 types depending on the diagnosis: elective and urgent.
An elective surgery is one that can be scheduled in advance. These include:
- Abdominal wall disorders.
- Benign biliary disorders.
- Thyroid disorders.
- Morbid obesity.
- Hiatal hernias and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Anorectal disorders.
- Skin lesions excision
- Varicose veins.
- Digestive tract disorders.
- Gastrointestinal and biliopancreatic cancer.
Urgent surgery is done because of an urgent medical condition. They include:
- Acute (surgical) abdomen.
- Subacute abdominal pain.
- Strangulated hernia.
- Disabling anal or perianal pain.
- Acute pain accompanied by severe inflammation.
- Severe sequelae in vascular processes of lower limbs.