It is well understood that summer carries an increase in traffic accidents. There are three main causes: traffic congestion, driver fatigue, and impaired driving. Hospital Ochoa’s special Traffic Accident Unit offers expert medical assistance, free of charge, to anyone involved in a traffic accident – be it a passenger, a pedestrian or a cyclist.
Why traffic accidents increase during summer
The odds of suffering a traffic accident increase significantly during the summer due to three main reasons:
- A higher number of vehicles on the road. During the summer months Spain receives millions of tourists, many of whom travel by car.
- Impaired driving. The holidays are a time of increased recreation and alcohol consumption, which unfortunately leads to higher numbers of drinking and driving.
- Driver fatigue. Changes in sleep routines, increased heat, unfamiliar roads, and longer journeys are some factors that may produce higher driver fatigue.
Hospital Ochoa’s Traffic Accident Unit
Hospital Ochoa’s special Traffic Accident Unit offers expert medical assistance, free of charge, to anyone involved in a traffic accident – be it a passenger, a pedestrian or a cyclist. No authorisation is required from any insurance company.
This medical unit is made up of a large multidisciplinary team that includes the following specialties:
- 24-hour emergencies, including trauma
- High-resolution diagnostics
- Assessment of bodily harm (medical report in case of sequelae valid for possible legal allegations)
The injured party has up to 15 days to request treatment. An official accident report is required.
The billing and reimbursement of medical services, should they apply, will be carried out in accordance with Spain’s Framework Agreement for Health Care Derived from Traffic Accidents (Convenio Marco de Asistencia Sanitaria Derivada de Accidentes de Tráfico).
For further information please click here.